February 13, 2006
Finished the fronts
Well, Sunday, I finished the Fronts, and I must say, things went very well.
Now, I'm casting on for the sleeves, and yes, I plan to do both at the same time. This will take me longer, I'm sure, as every row will be upwards of 240 stitches (at the widest point).
I feel a little disappointed that there is SO much seed stitch (24 stitches each side of the sleeve!). With all the intricacies of the cabling, it just seems like there should be far less off the seed stitch--at least by HALF, since there's only 22 stitches at the body sides...so I was wondering if anyone planned to do anything else "right there".
I've got one sleeve mapped into Excel, and will work on mapping the other, except for one thing...I'm not sure I want to spend the time copying everything in mirror image during my day at work, when I could be doing the tubular cast on...I'm CERTAIN that if I try to do both sleeves at once WITHOUT mapping, I will get confused and make mistakes on the second sleeve...which makes me wonder if I should do one at a time...
Posted by tenna at February 13, 2006 08:00 AM
I didn't remap the charts at all, and the way I think of the mirror image thing is to look at each crossing and see if it is going towards or away from the center. It requires a little mental juggling, but nothing too drastic.
Posted by: Theresa at February 13, 2006 09:07 AM
I realize this is too late for you, but perhaps someone else can profit by it (unless you're willing to drop those seed stitches down and knit them back up). I am knitting the side stitches in moss stitch, rather than seed stitch. This is pretty common for Arans, and gives a very nice diagonal look. I have carried it into Chart G on each side of the back, as well.
Posted by: Dicksie House at February 13, 2006 12:35 PM
Forgot to add - if you have any version of Photoshop, you can flip the pattern horizontally in it. It can also be done in Paint. The twisted stitches will look funny (I created my charts in Stitch and Motif Maker, so the twist stitches are backwards), but if this is troublesome, you can then go back and correct them in Excel.
Posted by: Dicksie House at February 13, 2006 12:39 PM
I've been thinking about your sleeve situation and reluctance to use so much seed stitch, and I heartily agree. I think I'll add the little 4 st cable "D" and then the 12 st motif "E" to each side of the sleeve. This will reduce your seed stitch considerably. I think you need to separate "E" from the other motifs because each of the major motifs on the body is separated by some type of cable and since this is the smallest it would be my choice.
Posted by: Dicksie House at February 15, 2006 09:32 PM